Thursday, May 13, 2010

Baby Update: 39 Weeks

I am 39 weeks pregnant, starting the 40th week tomorrow! Cullen is still the size of a watermelon and supposedly weighs around 7 pounds. We have another ultrasound tomorrow, so we'll get a better estimate of his weight then. We're hoping that the ultrasound will show that his abdomen is still growing. It's not a concern (from what I understand) if the abdomen is still measuring small, but if there is proof that he's no longer growing or getting the proper nutrition, I think they will induce labor. I've had a lot of practice contractions this week, but nothing consistent yet. I've had some Braxton Hicks throughout the third trimester, but these have been a lot more painful. Any day now. I'm hoping sooner rather than later!

Week 39 Summary:  Coming down to the wire, your baby weighs around seven to eight pounds and measures 19 to 21 inches. Those measurements won't change much from now on, but his brain is still growing at an astonishing rate, a pace that will continue for the first three years of life. His pink skin has now turned whitish (even babies who'll eventually have darker skin appear whitish now — they haven't yet developed pigment). The outer layers of his skin are sloughing off as new skin forms underneath. His head may have dropped into your pelvis by now, which makes your breathing easier but walking harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment